- 1 box (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crusts (two 11-inch rounds)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 egg, beaten
- additional salsa
- Remove pie crust pouches from box, let stand at room temperature 15-20 minutes
- Heat cream cheese in small heavy saucepan over low heat; cook and stir until melted. Add cilantro, salsa, cumin, salt and garlic powder; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken; remove from heat.
- Unfold pie crusts; remove plastic film. Roll out slightly on lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 3-inch rounds using buscuit cutter. Reroll dough scraps and cut enough additional to equal 20 rounds.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil. Place about 2 teaspoons chicken mixture in center of each round. Brush edges lightly with water. Pull one side of dough over filling to form half circle; pinch edges to seal.
- Place 10 to 12 empanadas on prepared baking sheet; brush lightly with edd. Bake 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with salsa.
Note: Empanadas can be prepared ahead of time and frozen. Simply wrap unbaked empanadas in plastic wrap and freeze. To bake, unwrap and follow directions baking 18-20 minutes.